Traffic Information for Residents of Leigh Woods, Bower Ashton and Long Ashton
This year’s Balloon Fiesta will take place from Thursday 9th to Sunday 12th August 2012. Now in its 34th year, the Fiesta is the largest annual Hot Air Balloon event in Europe and one of the UK’s top five outdoor events.
The schedule for the event will run as in previous years, with one mass ascent taking place on Thursday 9th at 6pm, and then daily at 6.00am and 6.00pm on Friday 10th, Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th August. Nightglows will take place on Thursday 9th and Saturday 11th August at 9.30pm and we are delighted that The Blades will attend the Fiesta on Sunday 12th at 5.00pm. We also have a brand new IlluminAir show at 7.30pm on Friday 10th August.
We appreciate that the event brings a large number of visitors and traffic into the area. As a result, a Traffic Management Plan is produced in consultation with North Somerset Council, Bristol City Council and the Avon and Somerset Constabulary.
The following road closures will be in place for the event. These closures are similar as in past years and we will issue Residents Passes via the post prior to this year’s Fiesta.
1. Kennel Lodge Road, Clanage Road, Rownham Hill and Abbots Leigh Road (to the junction with Beggar Bush Lane)
Road closures will be in place from 7.00pm to Midnight on Thursday 9th, Friday 10th, Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th August.
Residents of the above roads, and roads leading from them, will be able to gain access to their homes by entering the road closure area from the traffic lights at the junction of the A369 Abbots Leigh Road and the B3129 Beggar Bush Lane.
Please note - no access will be possible from the Bristol end of the A369 Clannage Road.
To access these road closures residents will be issued with a Residents Pass to show the stewards located on the closures.
2. The Southern End of Parklands Road, Bower Ashton, junction with Clannage Road and suspension of one way on Parklands Road, junction with Clannage Road to the junction with Courtlands Road.
The Fiesta will close the end of Parklands Road to both Pedestrians and Vehicles for the duration of the event. This is to minimise disruption to this street and the area of Bower Ashton. The one way system will be suspended to allow residents of the lower end of Parklands to access their homes.
Road Closures will be in place from 6.00am on Thursday 9th August to Midnight on Sunday 12th August.
Residents in the area can still gain access to their property by entering Parklands Road from Courtlands Road. The junction of Courtlands Road and Kennel Lodge Road will have barriers to restrict the entrance and a sign stating ‘No Access to the Fiesta, Residents Only’.
3. Closure of the Clifton Suspension Bridge and surrounding roads
The Clifton Suspension Bridge Trust will close the bridge during the following times:
· 6.00pm Thursday 9th August until 2.00am Friday 10th August
· 6.00pm Saturday 11th August until 2.00am Sunday 12th August
During these times the Bridge will be closed to all pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles.
Residents who require access in their vehicle should enter by the junction of Abbots Leigh Road and Beggar Bush Lane, as Rownham Hill and Clannage Road will be closed for Pedestrian safety. Please show your Residents Pass to the Stewards manning the closure to gain access.
4. No Waiting Cones
To ensure Fiesta visitors do not park inconveniently a number of No Waiting cones will be placed on the following roads. We ask that these cones are not moved as it causes inconvenience to road users and bus operators. The removal of these cones is an offence and will result in prosecution:
· Long Ashton Road from its junction with Ashton Road (B3128) to its junction with Lodge Drive along its eastern side and to its junction with Hobwell Lane along its western side.
· Church Lane for its entire length along both sides.
· Glebe Road from its junction with Long Ashton Road to its junction with Yanley Lane along both sides.
· Providence Lane from its junction with Clarken Coombe to its junction with Miners Close along its eastern side and to its junction with the public footpath along its western side.
· North Road for its entire length between Abbots Leigh Road and Bridge Road along its southern side.
· Bridge Road from Abbots Leigh Road to its junctions with North Road along both sides.
· Bannerleigh Road for its entire length along its western side.
· Burwalls Road for its entire length along its eastern side.
· Church Road for its entire length along its south western side.
· Vicarage Road for its entire length along its western side.
· St. Mary’s Road for its entire length along both sides.
· Rownham Hill cul-de-sac along both sides.
· Kennel Lodge Road for its entire length along both sides.
· Rownham Close for its entire length along both sides.
· Blackmoor Lane and Clanage Road between Rownham Close and Kennel Lodge along both sides.
For further information
Residents Pass letters will be issued via post prior to the Fiesta.
The above summary is correct at the time of printing and may be subject to change.
© Bristol International Balloon Fiesta 2012